Reading @ the Speed of Light...

Friday, February 11

Comic Talk - The real Bruce Campbell, + All Star Comix!

So Bruce Campbell is now a comic book writer. This is cool, the man seems to have a real sense of humour, judging from his various interviews. And yes, BMW Film's The Hire - Precious Cargo was written by him, and not some other bloke with the same name. He's writing a 6-issue comic, adapted from the script of Man with the Screaming Brain, his latest movie. It tells the story of "a wealthy American businessman determined to exploit the crippled economy of a former Soviet state now torn between communist roots and capitalist greed. Campbell’s character hits on the wrong gypsy girl and lands in the grip of a mad scientist determined to get rich off a twisted brain-transplant scheme". Very, very interesting.

On the other hand, the two All Star comics haven't done much for me. Frank Miller will be writing All-Star Batman & Robin, with art by Jim Lee. All-Star Superman will be written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely. Huh. Two Franks. Heh. Umm, yeah, nevermind that..

Neither of the two artists excite me. Jim Lee draws human beings that are waaay too perfect, and Quitely makes they seem, well, for want of a better word, pudgy (he atleast does some great backgrounds and environments, and now, animals too). But the art as a whole isn't a major factor, as I've always been more heavily influenced in my decisions by the writer. Which is why I'm surprised that Morrison chose Superman. Back in his JLA days, he pretty much whipped Big Blue around, and elevated Batman into some kind of Man-God. Under his pen, that was a lot of fun, and gave the impression that he really favoured Batman a lot more than Supes. I'm not sure if Superman is an ideal title for him, and heck, given his taste in stories, Green Lantern was one, huge empty canvas for him. Nevertheless, I'm curious as hell to find out what he's planned for Big Blue. Nuggets like "Well, we deal with the entire origin sequence using four panels on page one of our first issue" and "I've created Krull, an evolved dinosaur dictator who rules a monstrous civilization at the center of the earth" give me some hope. You should really read the entire interview here.

As for the Dark Knight, I can't remember the last time I was even remotely interested in what's been happening in his world. And sadly, I've always been a BatFan, never a Superman lover...

On a side note, when I did a word check on this post, Blogger suggested replacing "batfan" with "bedpan".. Strangely ironic, eh?